FICTION_L Archives

Fiction Discussion List

FICTION_L@CCPLLISTS.CUYAHOGALIBRARY.NET

From:
Abigail Segal <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Fiction Discussion List <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Sep 2022 16:10:04 -0400
Hello! I’m Abby, and I’m part of Professor Bodart’s Reader’s Advisory class at San Jose State University, which involves reading different genres of fiction to which I may or may not have been exposed.

While I was at work today, I was talking to the reference librarian about the fact that at one library I work for, the collection label is “Inspirational” while at the other one I work for, it is “Christian Fiction.” I was wondering what people’s thoughts on this genre are, and if I could get some recommendations?

I am Jewish, so I’ve never really been interested in reading these kinds of works about Amish Christmases or what have you by writers like Suzanne Fisher, Tracie Peterson, Janette Oke, etc. I’ve just shelved a lot of them, so I know they’re popular. I did have to read “The Shack” by William P. Young for a religious studies class back in undergrad, and thought it was okay.