FICTION_L Archives

Fiction Discussion List

FICTION_L@CCPLLISTS.CUYAHOGALIBRARY.NET

From:
Lesley K <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Fiction Discussion List <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Sep 2019 21:48:38 -0500
I always first read the first and last chapters of books I am
reviewing, or reading to expand my genre familiarity; and often for
books that I am reading for pleasure as well.

I get very anxious - especially if the plot is very suspenseful or
scary, or I suspect that things will turn out "badly", or even if my
preferred 'ship might not be fulfilled - and I can't pay attention to
all the various appeal factors if I'm preoccupied with worrying about
how it turns out.

And I usually read the rest in a non-linear fashion - skipping over
the grisly or smutty bits, turning back to re-read earlier scenes now
seen in a new light, jumping around to see which characters get more
"screen time."    I've never understood how people just pick up a
book, go to the first page, and read straight through to the end.
Don't you get twitchy at being so constrained?

Which, btw, is why I dislike e-books;  it's a lot harder to "skip
around" in an endless scroll than it is to riffle through a nice print
codex.

--
-- Lesley Knieriem
   Rogers Public Library

Nunc adeamus bibliothecam, non illam quidem multis instructam libris,
sed exquisitis. -- Erasmus