Thank you so much, Todd!!!

~Diana

On Sun, Nov 13, 2022 at 5:45 PM Todd Mason <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
If you like Douglas Adams's sfnal humor, it's a good shot you'll like Sheckley's and Harrison's, too. I'd also recommend John Sladek, Kit Reed (some more lighthearted, some very gallows-humor), and anthologies such as Robert Silverberg's INFINITE JESTS. Like Adams (and Vonnegut), usually some seriousness underlies the humor in the work of all of them, but it doesn't spoil the fun. And Pratchett is perhaps the only fantastica humorist in the UK to have consistently outsold Adams in recent decades. And...
Robert Benchley and Dorothy Parker, Jean Kerr and Stephen Leacock for some of the classics.

Shall mull about this some more, as I see a number of folks have chimed in.
A lot of my favorite funny writers are only Sometimes funny, by intent, such as Joanna Russ, Avram Davidson, Barry Malzberg, Roxanne Gay, Muriel Spark, Shirley Jackson, Ambrose Bierce. Certainly Samuel Clemens.

If you love THE GREAT RACE, also such near-contemporaries as THOSE DARING YOUNG MEN IN THEIR JAUNTY JALOPIES (clearly made to cash in, but I was fond of it as a child) or IT'S A MAD, MAD, MAD, MAD WORLD?

TM