Thank you for the reminder, Lisa! What a great recommendation! I have only read one or two of her books and articles and I think I saw the beginning of a Ted talk she did that I meant to return to. She is smart and funny and tackles some awkward subjects.

~Diana

On Mon, Nov 14, 2022 at 12:18 PM Colcord, Lisa <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Another awesome, funny non-fiction writer is Mary Roach!!

From: Fiction Discussion List <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of Pond, Melissa
Sent: Sunday, November 13, 2022 4:28 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Humor Recommendations?

For books, David Sedaris is my reigning king, and he seems only to have gotten better with age. He is also one of the authors whose work is made infinitely more delightful by his own reading of it. I think Calypso is one of his masterworks, but you can never go wrong with the sheer absurdity inherent in the cross-cultural (mis)communications of Me Talk Pretty One Day.
Sarah Vowell is another favorite author whose works are even better in audio.
For fiction, James McBride’s The Good Lord Bird is maybe my absolute favorite; if I remember correctly, Michael Boatman read the audiobook, and it was one of those near-perfect listening/reading experiences for me – hilarious with a lot of heart, sharpness, and humanity.

For movies, despite its problematic elements, The Impostors (1998) is well worth a watch with its delightful mix of classic screwball and slapstick and its all-star ensemble cast headed by Stanley Tucci and Oliver Platt and with the likes of Alfred Molina, Tony Shalhoub, Lili Taylor, Hope Davis, Steve Buscemi, and Campbell Scott. It’s the movie I keep recommending and, so far, only my spouse has taken me up on it. Alas…

Congratulations on being close to the finish line!
😊 May you have plenty of time and a wealth of options to delight you after your accomplishment!
Cheers, Melissa