From: Fiction Discussion List <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of Todd Mason
Sent: Monday, April 17, 2023 2:40 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [External] Dennis Lien, RIP

Dennis Lien, Denny to many, died Saturday morning.

As I noted on Fb:
RIP, this morning, Dennis/Denny Lien. One of the most widely-respected, liked and loved people I have known.
https://isfdb.org/cgi-bin/ea.cgi?24884<https://isfdb.org/cgi-bin/ea.cgi?24884&fbclid=IwAR3098DCuEe1JKbdUTmU-u7R1s1v0dkljmWSx_mWA4luoDONr6dSM0eSNbQ>

And a photo from the Minneapolis sf/fantasy fan convention, MiniCon, a week ago:[cid:image002.png@01D9713C.D46B5280]

the File 770 obituary:

"DENNY LIEN (1945-2023). Long-time Minneapolis fan Denny Lien died April 15<https://www.facebook.com/karen.schaffer.33/posts/10227347519652598> at the age of 77. Although under on-call hospice care at home, he had been able to get out and spend a few hours walking around at Minicon last weekend. Last night he had a fall and called hospice this morning. He died of kidney cancer and acute myeloid leukemia, the latter diagnosed in January 2023.

"After moving to Minneapolis Lien got involved with Minn-Stf<http://fancyclopedia.org/Minn-StF> and remained active for over 20 years, serving as an officer, and editor of some issues of the club publication Einblatt. With many others he co-authored the beloved fannish musical parody Midwest Side Story<http://fancyclopedia.org/Midwest_Side_Story>. He was at times a member of such apas as. Minneapa<http://fancyclopedia.org/Minneapa> and ANZAPA<http://fancyclopedia.org/ANZAPA>. He was guest of honor at Minicon 21. And he was a File 770 subscriber and letter-writer for decades.

"He was married to and is survived by fellow fan and poet Terry A. Garey, whom he spent several years taking tender care of<https://fancyclopedia.org/Denny_Lien> as her physical and mental health [dementia has afflicted her--TM] deteriorated." [She is in a good facility, and her brother is now her legal guardian. Terry and Denny have/had good insurance.]

A consistently thoughtful and helpful member of PW, Fiction-L, and other lists devoted to research and patron assistance, he will be missed in many ways.

I knew him first and most thoroughly through FictionMags, where he is also intensely mourned.

TM