https://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/by-topic/industry-news/awards-and-prizes/article/93166-2023-national-book-award-longlists-announced.html

The National Book Foundation is announcing the 2022 National Book Award longlists this week. Five finalists in each of the five categories—fiction, nonfiction, poetry, translated literature, and young people's literature—will be named October 3. The winners will be announced during an awards ceremony on November 15.

Fiction

Chain-Gang All-Stars by Nana Kwame Adjei-Brenyah (Pantheon)
Temple Folk by Aaliyah Bilal (S&S)
Ponyboy by Eliot Duncan (Norton)
This Other Eden by Paul Harding (Norton)
Loot by Tania James (Knopf)
Night Watch by Jayne Anne Phillips (Knopf)
A Council of Dolls by Mona Susan Power (Mariner)
The End of Drum-Time by Hanna Pylväinen (Holt)
Blackouts by Justin Torres (FSG)
Holler, Child by LaToya Watkins (Tiny Reparations)

Nonfiction

The Rediscovery of America: Native Peoples and the Unmaking of U.S. History by Ned Blackhawk (Yale UP)
King: A Life by Jonathan Eig (FSG)
A Man of Two Faces: A Memoir, A History, A Memorial by Viet Thanh Nguyen (Grove)
The Slip: The New York City Street That Changed American Art Forever by Prudence Peiffer (Harper)
When Crack Was King: A People's History of a Misunderstood Era by Donovan X. Ramsey (One World)
Liliana’s Invincible Summer: A Sister’s Search for Justice by Cristina Rivera Garza (Hogarth)
Ordinary Notes by Christina Sharpe (FSG)
We Could Have Been Friends, My Father and I: A Palestinian Memoir by Raja Shehadeh (Other Press)
Fire Weather: A True Story from a Hotter World by John Vaillant (Knopf)
I Saw Death Coming: A History of Terror and Survival in the War Against Reconstruction by Kidada E. Williams (Bloomsbury)

Poetry

How to Communicate by John Lee Clark (Norton)
The Diaspora Sonnets by Oliver de la Paz (Liveright)
Vexations by Annelyse Gelman (University of Chicago)
Promises of Gold by José Olivarez (Holt)
from unincorporated territory [åmot] by Craig Santos Perez (Omnidawn)
West: A Translation by Paisley Rekdal (Copper Canyon)
Tripas by Brandon Som (Georgia Review)
Trace Evidence by Charif Shanahan (Tin House)
suddenly we by Evie Shockley (Wesleyan UP)
From From by Monica Youn (Graywolf)

Translated Literature

The Devil of the Provinces by Juan Cárdenas and translated from the Spanish by Lizzie Davis (Coffee House)
Cursed Bunny by Bora Chung and translated from the Korean by Anton Hur (Algonquin)
Beyond the Door of No Return by David Diop and translated from the French by Sam Taylor (FSG)
Kairos by Jenny Erpenbeck and translated from the German by Michael Hofmann (New Directions)
The Words That Remain by Stênio Gardel and translated from the Portuguese by Bruna Dantas Lobato (New Vessel)
No One Prayed Over Their Graves by Khaled Khalifa and translated from the Arabic by Leri Price (FSG)
This Is Not Miami by Fernanda Melchor and translated from the Spanish by Sophie Hughes (New Directions)
Abyss by Pilar Quintana and translated from the Spanish by Lisa Dillman (World Editions)
On a Woman’s Madness by Astrid Roemer and translated from the Dutch by Lucy Scott (Two Lines)
The Most Secret Memory of Men by Mohamed Mbougar Sarr and translated from the French by Lara Vergnaud (Other Press)

Young People's Literature

Simon Sort of Says by Erin Bow (Disney-Hyperion)
Gather by Kenneth M. Cadow (Candlewick)
Forget Me Not by Alyson Derrick (Simon & Schuster)
Huda F Cares? by Huda Fahmy (Dial)
Big by Vashti Harrison (Little, Brown)
The Lost Year: A Survival Story of the Ukrainian Famine by Katherine Marsh (Roaring Brook)
Hidden Systems: Water, Electricity, the Internet, and the Secrets Behind the Systems We Use Every Day by Dan Nott (Random House Graphic)
A First Time for Everything by Dan Santat (First Second)
Parachute Kids by Betty C. Tang (Graphix)
More Than a Dream: The Radical March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom by Yohuru Williams and Michael G. Long (Farrar, Straus and Giroux)

fwd TM

To unsubscribe from the FICTION_L list, click the following link:
https://ccpllists.cuyahogalibrary.net/scripts/wa.exe?SUBED1=FICTION_L