And, wow, the nonsense-detector clanging like a fire alarm immediately!

"Horror didn’t exist as a literary genre before 1967 when Rosemary’s Baby hit the bestseller lists and became a hit movie."

What wasn't happening was a relatively consistent string of horror fiction hitting US bestseller lists and seen/labeled, relatively clearly, as horror. However much one wants to give Hendrix the benefit of the doubt, that's Not saying the same thing in different words...hell, several paperback publishers even had horror lines (though a few used terms like "novels of menace" instead) in the early '60s, horror fiction magazines were very much in evidence since at least WEIRD TALES began its run in 1923 (and here we're sticking to the English-language titles), and so on...